Ten Easy Carpet Cleaning Tips
Carpets are a valuable investment in your home, so protect them with these handy tips below!
- Vacuum regularly. At River City Carpet Cleaning we believe you should vacuum your floors two to three times a week. This will prevent dirt from becoming too ingrained and will help prolong the life of your carpet.
- Make the most of your vacuum cleaners bits and bobs. Today most vacuum cleaners come with an array of different attachments which are often overlooked when it comes to cleaning because most of us just want to get the job done as quickly as possible. Generally these attachments have been designed to make cleaning easier so make the most of them.
- Change or clean your vacuum cleaners filters on a regular basis, and replace bags before they get too full. This will help improve your machines suction and result in a better clean.
- Clean up spills immediately before they have time to spread and stain. For tips on how to best tackle stains check out our blog How To Remove Spots and Spills.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals and household cleaning products when cleaning your carpet. These tend to leave a nasty residue in your carpet fibres which will do more damage in the long run.
- While most supermarket deodorizing powders are a quick fix to nasty smells they are just that, a quick fix. And like chemicals can leave a nasty residue in your carpet. The fragrant scent will eventually fade and you will be back to square one. For a long-term solution have your carpets professionally cleaned.
- Take your shoes off at the front door. This will prevent unwanted nasties from outside embedding themselves into your carpet fibres. Placing a shoe rack by your front and back door will help remind you to remove your shoes. Less dirt equals less cleaning!
- Similar to taking your shoes off, place mats at doorways, including the entrance way to your kitchen. So much dirt found in carpets comes from outside or the kitchen, and by wiping your feet as you come inside, or pass from room to room, can reduce the amount of dirt transfer around your home.
- Have your carpets cleaned professionally at least once a year. And no, we are not just saying that because that is our business. Regular steam cleaning can not only prolong the life of your carpets and remove tough stains but also make your home much healthier environment. We recommend people with allergies, children or pets have their carpets cleaned at least two times a year.
- Technically this isn’t a carpet cleaning tip but we thought it was too good not to share! To remove unsightly furniture indentations from your carpet place ice cubes in the affected area, leave to melt then gently lift the carpet fibres with a spoon. Before you know it all evidence of your furniture will be gone!